TIBURON HISTORICAL TIME LINE
(All dates approximate)
1540 First European, traveling overland, sets foot in California.
1579 Sir Francis Drake lands in Marin and names it New Albion.
1595 Manilla galleon San Agustin shipwrecked on Point Reyes. Artifacts still surfacing.
1607 Jamestown is settled in Virginia.1620 Pilgrims land at Plymouth, Massachusetts.
1745 Juan Manuel de Ayala is born in Osuna, Cassado, Spain.
1767 A brig, the San Carlos is built in the shipyards of San Blas, Mexico. It is 58 feet on deck, a beam of about 17 feet. It will carry a crew of 30 officers and men.1769 Portola, traveling overland from Monterey, sights San Francisco Bay.
1773 Boston Tea Party.1775 The SAN CARLOS, Commanded by Lt. Juan Manuel de Ayala, is the first ship to visit San Francisco Bay and anchors at Angel Island while charting the Bay. Names Punta de Tiburon, or Shark Point. He also named Isla de los Angels, later called Angel Island.
1776 Declaration of Independence is approved in Philadelphia. Presidio of San Francisco established by Spanish soldiers.
1783 Treaty of Peace with Great Britain is signed.
1790 First US Census – population 3,929,214.1812 Russians settle at Fort Ross. Whaling fleet of many nations winter in Whalers Cove in what is now Richardson Bay.
1805 John Thomas Reed is born in Dublin, Ireland.
1813 Hilaria Sanchez is born.
1814 The British sloop-of -war Racoon is beached on the shore of the cove on Angel Island to make repairs. The strait between the Angel Island and the Tiburon Peninsula is named for it although, eventually, the spelling of the little furry animal, Raccoon, becomes accepted.
1815 Last voyage of the Manila Galleon between California and the Philippines.
1817 Mission San Rafael Archangel founded.
1820 John Thomas Reed leaves Ireland for Mexico.
1821 Mexico gains its independence from Spain.
1823 Monroe Doctrine announced.
1825 John Thomas Reed arrives in San Francisco from Mexico. He speaks Spanish and is a Catholic, two requirements to be granted land.
1828 Acts of secularization frees up mission lands.
1831 Reed is granted provisional permission to occupy the Rancho Corte de Madera del Presidio, a former pasture of the San Rafael Mission. With 400 cattle and 60 horses he begins ranching the property.
1834 Mission San Rafael is taken over by Mexican civil authorities as part of the secularization program. Rancho Corte de Madera del Presidio is granted by Mexican Governor Jose Figueroa to John Thomas Reed. The 8,000 acre rancho includes all of present day Tiburon (except for Angel Island), Belvedere, Strawberry, most of Mill Valley, all of Corte Madera, and all of old Larkspur as far as Corte Madera Creek opposite the present site of College of Marin.
1835 Captain William Richardson’s plan for Yerba Buena is approved. The town later becomes San Francisco.
1836 John Reed builds a saw mill on a creek in what is now Mill Valley. Marries Hilaria Sanchez, daughter of the Comandante of the Presidio.
1837 John Joseph Reed is born.
1838 Captain Richardson is granted the 20,000 acre Rancho Saucelito.
1839 Hilarita Reed is born. Don Antonio Maria Osio, a native of Baja California is granted Angel Island. Raises a herd of 500 cattle.
1841 Benjamin Lyford is born. Maria Inez Reed is born. First emigrant wagon train reaches Sacramento. Russians withdraw from Fort Ross. Captain Richardson settles on his rancho at Sausalito.
1842 John Thomas Reed dies, age 38.
1846 Congress declares war with Mexico. Bear Flag Revolt in California. The US flag flies over Monterey.
1847 Widow Hilaria Reed marries Bernardino Garcia.
1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ends the Mexican war. California is ceded to the United States. Gold is discovered in California.
1850 California admitted to the Union, Marin (population: 325) is one of the original 27 counties. The U.S. Government reserves Angel Island.
1852 Area of Strawberry first appears on coast survey charts. California City is laid out by Benjamin R. Buckelew on 320 acres where Paradise Cay is today.
1853 Fortifications are built on Alcatraz using rock from Angel Island. More than 100 guns are in place.
1854 A duel is fought on Angel Island between two San Franciscans. Both are wounded, one later died from his wounds.
1856 Reed title to the Rancho Corte Madera del Presidio is confirmed.
1860 A brick kiln begins operation on site which will later be the Net Depot. Antonio Maria Osio’s claim to Angel Island is declared void by the Supreme Court and the Army takes possession.
1863 Military troops set up bases on Angel Island as part of the coastal defenses of San Francisco Bay. Work begins on Camp Reynolds (later called West Garrison on Angel Island).
1864 The first saloon on the Tiburon Peninsula opens. An Army hospital is opened at the cove on Angel Island. Gun batteries are constructed at Point Stuart and Point Knox. Stillwater Bay (Belvedere Cove) is used for drying cod fish.
1865 John Paul Reed is born. Camp Reynolds becomes a recruit station, training men destined for posts throughout the West. The 12th Infantry, headquartered on Angel Island, has men serving on eleven different posts from Mexico to Alaska.
1866 The Morgan Oyster Co. begins producing oysters in Richardson Bay. The business lasts for ten years. Dr. Benjamin Lyford is mustered out of the Army and arrives in San Francisco. The S.S. China is built in New York for the trans-Pacific trade.
1867 A military reservation is established on Peninsula Island now Belvedere.
1868 Hilaria Sanchez Reed Garcia dies. Hilarita Reed inherits 446 acres in Strawberry and 1,021 acres at the East end of the Tiburon Peninsula. Inez Reed is granted most of land west of present Highway 101. John Joseph Reed gets the bulk of the ranch in the middle of the Peninsula.
1869 Brickyards in Tiburon provide material for Fort Point in San Francisco.1870 Vigolite Powder Company builds an explosive plant on the Tiburon Peninsula.
1872 Hilarita Reed marries Dr. Benjamin Lyford.
1874 The first Reed School opens on the Big Reed Ranch (Belveron West.)
1875 North Pacific Coast Railroad begins operation through Strawberry and across a 4,000 foot trestle to Sausalito. A post office is opened on Angel Island.
1876 Camp Reynolds serves as a depot for recruits and as a staging area for troops serving in campaigns against Native American tribes.
1877 A codfish processing plant opens on Paradise Drive. The Hazard Powder Company builds two powder magazines in Tiburon. The Lyfords move into their home on Strawberry Point, the Eagle Dairy Ranch.
1879 The Donahue Line reaches San Rafael.
1883 Maria Inez Reed Deffebach and her husband die. Their four children come to live with the Lyfords. Ship breaking and salvage becomes a major Tiburon industry in the 1880s.
1884 Colonel Peter Donahue extends the North Pacific Railroad from San Rafael to Tiburon and establishes a railroad yard with machine shops and ferry piers at the end of the peninsula. North Pacific Coast Railroad ceases operation through Strawberry. A post office is opened in Tiburon. The ferry boat Tiburon is built in the yard.
1885 The boundaries of the original land grant to John Reed in 1834 were decided by the U.S. District Court. This cleared the title to most of the original Rancho and included both Peninsula Island and Corinthian Island. The Army gives up its station on Peninsula Island.
1886 Corinthian Yacht Club is founded. A small club house is built on the end of an island renamed Corinthian Island. The S.S. China is broken up. The social cabin is saved. Point Knox Lighthouse is erected on Angel Island but only has a fog warning bell. Gun batteries are built on Angel Island facing the golden Gate. Manuel Rodrigues da Fonta and his wife and three year old daughter Rose leave the Azores. Finding work on the ferry boats out of Tiburon he settles on the Reed Ranch. The family is also known as Rogers.
1887 The Tiburon School District is formed.
1888 St. Hilary’s Catholic Church is built in Carpenter’s Gothic style on land donated by Dr. and Mrs. Lyford. Named for Hilaria Reed and Hilarita Lyford’s patron saint, it is served by visiting priests from San Rafael. A public health quarantine station is opened on Angel Island. The area is named Hospital Cove.
1890 Belvedere Land Company formed by Thomas B. Valentine and the island is subdivided. The ferryboat Ukiah is built in the Tiburon yards. Dr. Lyford starts his subdivision known as Lyford’s Hygeia after the goddess of health and builds a stone tower to mark its entrance.
1891 The Quarantine Station is opened on Angel Island and the first ship, the China puts ashore 257 passengers and crew. Thomas B. Valentine purchases Corinthian Island from the Reed Family.
1893 Sausalito incorporated.
1896 The City of Belvedere is incorporated.
1897 A post office is opened in Belvedere. The Belvedere School District is formed.
1899 John Joseph Reed dies. The quarantine station on Angel Island becomes a detention center for veterans of the Spanish American War who might have contracted diseases in the Philippines, and other troops to be mustered out of the Army.
1900 Mill Valley is incorporated. A light is added to the Point Knox Lighthouse. Fort McDowell is established at Point Blunt on Angel Island as a tent encampment.
1901 A Discharge Camp is constructed near Quarry Point on Angel Island to handle separation of soldiers returning from the Philippines. 126,000 men will pass through in the next six years.
1904 The Navy builds a coaling station on the codfishery site on Paradise Drive. Teddy Roosevelt’s Great White Fleet replenishes its bunkers before heading back East.
1905 The U.S. Immigration Service opens on Angel Island to receive immigrants from the Far East.
1906 Dr. Benjamin Lyford dies. A great earthquake, centered in West Marin, devastates San Francisco. Fires complete the destruction, and sends many families to live in their summer homes and arks in Belvedere.1907 The Northwestern Pacific Railroad is created by merging five lines. Corinthian Island Company is formed, purchasing the Island from the widow of Thomas B. Valentine.
1908 Hilarita Reed Lyford dies. The City of Larkspur is incorporated. A nine hole golf course is developed on Belvedere Island. A three story brick warehouse is constructed at Camp Reynolds.
1909 Direct passenger ferry service from Tiburon to San Francisco ends. Shuttle service to the ferry pier in Sausalito continues until 1934.
1910 A permanent Immigration Station opens at Point Simpson (later called North Garrison) on Angel Island. Construction also begins on permanent buildings at Fort McDowell. It is called East Garrison when Fort McDowell becomes headquarters for the whole island.
1912 St. Stephens church is established in Belvedere.
1915 A second lighthouse is erected at Point Stuart on Angel Island.
1916 The City of Corte Madera is incorporated.1917 World War I. Angel Island becomes a training and internment camp.
1919 John Paul Reed dies. Before his death he gives Rose Rodrigues da Fonta the 9+ acres which is now the Tiburon Audubon Center. 71,919 aliens pass through the Immigration Station.
1920 Sam’s Anchor Café opens on Main Street.
1921 The last of a series of fires burns much of Main Street and the railroad shops.
1922 The quarry on Angel Island closes.
1923 The ferry Ukiah is rebuilt as the Eureka. (It is now a prime exhibit in the historic ship collection in San Francisco.)
1925 The brick bank building on Main Street is constructed.
1926 Fort McDowell on Angel Island is handling about 40,000 men per year, more troop traffic than any other post in the country.
1930 Tiburon Blvd. completed directly to downtown instead of by way of San Rafael Ave, in Belvedere. As oil replaces coal on ships the Navy Coaling Station closes.
1931 The California Maritime Academy moves to the site of the former coaling station.
1933 Construction begins on the Golden Gate Bridge. The former Navy coaling station on Paradise Drive becomes the staging ground for bridge construction. The suspender cables are spun here.
1934 San Francisco Yacht Club (founded in 1869) moves to Belvedere Cove.
1937 The Golden Gate Bridge opens for traffic.
1940 The Navy converts the former coaling station to construct and operate anti-submarine nets to protect San Francisco Bay and other Pacific ports. Over 100,000 tons of netting are produced during the war. A second base, on a former picnic site known as El Campo, becomes the Navy’s Floating Dry Dock Training School (now Paradise County Park.) 514 men of the crew of the German luxury liner Columbus are detained on Angel Island. The Maritime Academy moves to Vallejo.Clothilda Reed dies at age 81. She owned 433 acres in Strawberry, the 1,033-acre Big Reed Ranch, and the 544-acre Little Reed Ranch.
1941 The U.S. enters World War II. The Immigration Station on Angel Island closes. Prisoners of War will be held here. The last sailing from Sausalito to San Francisco ends ferryboat service. More than 300,000 soldiers are sent to the Pacific Theater through Angel Island. The Tiburon Fire Protection District is created.
1942 The first apartment complex in Tiburon, Hilarita Housing is built to serve military families on the peninsula. The first anti-aircraft guns are placed on Angel Island. The first POWs arrive at the Detention Center on Angel Island.
1945 The Navy plans to convert the entire peninsula into a huge ammunition supply depot. World War II ends, halting this project.
1946 The last POWs leave the Detention Center. The flag is lowered on the Army posts on Angel Island.
1948 Angel Island is transferred from the Department of Defense to the Department of the Interior.
1949 The Quarantine Station on Angel Island closes.
1950 The Reed Union Elementary School District is created, merging the Belvedere and Tiburon School Districts.
1952 The Tiburon Peninsula Coordinating Council (TPCC), made up of the presidents of the homeowner associations, the City of Belvedere, and all the special districts, is formed in order have a unified voice before the Board of Supervisors and to work with county planners on a Master Plan for the Development of the Tiburon Peninsula.
1953 The Bel Aire subdivision is built.
1954 A new Saint Hilary’s Church and School opens at its present site. The Belvedere-Tiburon Landmark Society is formed in order to purchase (in 1959) Old St. Hilary’s and preserve it for the community. The garden surrounding the church is home to 217 species of wild flowers, some unique to the site. Army engineers construct Nike Missile batteries on Angel Island. The top of Mount Ida (later Mount Carolyn Livermore) is lopped off to provide for a radar station to control the missiles.
1956 Marin County issues a Master Plan for the Development of the Tiburon Peninsula, created with the assistance of the Tiburon Peninsula Coordinating Council (TPCC). This Master Plan would have allowed for a population of 20,000 to 40,000 people. There was a four-lane, divided highway circling the peninsula and provision for a bridge to San Francisco. Incorporation of a City of Tiburon was proposed but failed to get the support of the large land holders. The Belvedere and Tiburon post offices are combined.
1957 Reed’s Port, a plan for 2,000 or more houses and several yacht clubs, is proposed for Richardson Bay. The 900 acre Richardson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary is established ending the scheme. The Lyford House is barged across the Bay from Strawberry to the Audubon Sanctuary. Most of the buildings of the abandoned Quarantine Station in Hospital Cove are destroyed.
1958 The Navy closes the Net Depot.1959 Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary relocates to the Strawberry Peninsula.
1960 An automated light house is erected at Point Blunt on Angel Island making this the only island in the U.S. with three lighthouses.
1961 The U.S. government proposes to convert the Net Depot property to a missile testing facility. The missiles were to be launched from Raccoon Strait. Public outcry stopped this plan. The property is then designated as a marine research facility known as the Tiburon Oceanographic Center. The Richardson Bay Audubon Center is established by the National Audubon Society. A massive development of high-rise apartments on the Strawberry Peninsula sparked a new attempt by the TPCC to incorporate the entire Tiburon Peninsula. The Elephant Rock fishing pier is built in memory of an 11 year old boy who drowned while fishing off the rocks.
1962 A recall of Supervisor Walter Blair and the election of Peter Behr in his place killed the Strawberry project so Strawberry pulled out of the incorporation plan and the fifth attempt to form a City of Tiburon died. Direct ferry service from Tiburon is restored using San Francisco Bay excursion boats. Branwell Fanning becomes chairman and John Hoffmire vice-chairman of the TPCC. The Nike base on Angel Island is deactivated.
1963 A new plan for a Tiburon-San Francisco bridge, the missile testing base at the former Net Depot, and other schemes prompted the leaders of the Tiburon Peninsula Coordinating Council to decide on another attempt to incorporate a City of Tiburon. A gerrymander of the map eliminated most opposition to the incorporation. The Point Knox Lighthouse is burned by the Coast Guard. Angel Island becomes a state park.
1964 The Incorporation election is held and the proponents are victorious by 101 votes. Gordon Strawbridge and John Hoffmire are elected to four year terms on the new City Council. Anne Ellinwood, Leo Souza and Fred Hannas get two year terms. Strawbridge is elected mayor. Larry Rose, City Manager of Carmel by the Sea, is hired. The city is broke, but The Tiburon National Bank loans enough money to carry the city until the first tax revenue are received. Rose Rodrigues da Fonta, AKA the “Goat Lady” dies.
1965 The 11 acre Harbor Cove Nature Preserve is established by the City of Tiburon and the Strawberry Recreation District, the first open space purchase by the new city. Gordon Strawbridge is reelected mayor. Leo Souza resigns from the council and is replaced by Jackie Parnell. The city establishes a Zone of Interest to govern future annexations. A Parks and Recreation Commission is created.
1966 Blackie, Tiburon’s swaybacked horse, dies, aged about 40, and is buried in the field where he had grazed for about 25 years. It is still called Blackie’s Pasture. Bill Bremer, Branwell Fanning and Thomas Drohan are elected to the council. John Hoffmire is elected mayor. A development group contracts to purchase the railroad waterfront property and proposes a large complex of buildings. The city takes action to stop the proposal. The section of Tiburon Blvd. by-passed by the new construction is renamed Greenwood Beach Road.
1967 The last train leaves Tiburon ending the railroad period. The right-of-way is abandoned and the rails removed. John Hoffmire is reelected mayor. The Master Plan, The General Plan, and Zoning Ordinance are adopted. Gordon Strawbridge resigns and Rampton Harvey is appointed to replace him. Strawberry decides against annexation to Tiburon.
1968 Bill Bremer is elected mayor. The first City Hall is established at 80 Main Street on Ark Row. Angel Island is proposed as the site for an anti-ballistic missile base. The council disapproved and the project died. Blackie’s Pasture is designated as a future city park. Gas lights are restored on Main Street. Peggy Bremer designs a logo for the city: A ships wheel with a smiling shark in the center. Tree and view preservation ordinances are approved. Denis Rice and Anne Ellinwood are elected to the City Council. Reedland Woods Unit 1 is annexed to the city. An annexation plan for Paradise Drive properties fails.
1969 Branwell Fanning is elected mayor. CALTRANS is committed to maintaining Tiburon Blvd. as a state highway. Lawsuits are filed to obtain the railroad right of way for a bicycle and pedestrian path. Part of the border between Belvedere and Tiburon is re-aligned. Several attempts by the state and San Francisco to develop Angel Island as a major destination resort are defeated. The first Ayala Day community picnic is held on Angel Island. Hospital Cove is renamed Ayala Cove. After a long strike, ferry boat service is restored by the Golden Gate Bridge District. The San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission is created. Mayor Fanning is appointed to represent all the cities in the North Bay. Reedland Woods Unit 2 is annexed.
1970 Denis Rice is elected mayor. The 2.5 mile path along Richardson Bay on the old railroad right-of-way is opened for pedestrians and bicyclists. Branwell Fanning is reelected to the city council and joined by Al Sennett and Allan Littman. Strawberry again says “no” to annexation to Tiburon. A plan by Mill Valley to annex Strawberry and almost all of the unincorporated portions of the Tiburon Peninsula is unsuccessful. Undergrounding of utility wires begins. A Trails Plan for the peninsula is adopted.
1971 Denis Rice is reelected mayor. A $1.2 million bond issue is passed to purchase open space. The Tiburon Police Department is created to replace the hired sheriff deputies. Annexation of Strawberry and the Eagle Rock areas is proposed and fails once again. Louise Teather is appointed Tiburon Historian. The city finally convinces CALTRANS to leave Tiburon Blvd, a two lane road.
1972 Albert Sennett is elected mayor. Open space lands, mostly on ridge tops are purchased. The Ark weekly newspaper begins publishing. Sam Shapero successfully acquires the largest portions of Blackie’s Pasture, and deeds them to the city.
1973 Branwell Fanning is reelected mayor. Bob Kleinert becomes city manager. The boundary with Belvedere on Corinthian Island is changed to correspond to property lines. The Tiburon Peninsula Foundation is created to facilitate the acquisition of Blackie’s Pasture. Hilarita Housing rebuilding plan is approved. A deal is made with Belvedere to jointly build and operate community tennis courts. The Tiburon School is closed. The 200 anniversary of Ayala’s visit is commemorated.
1974 Al Aramburu is elected mayor. Work is begun on McKegney Green. The Del Mar tennis courts are opened.
1975 George Ellman is elected mayor. Rezoning of the old railroad yards is completed. Undergrounding of telephone wires on Tiburon Blvd is begun. Belveron Minipark is completed in the space formerly occupied by the railroad trestle. The final portion of Blackie’s Pasture is purchased. The Federal Government declares the former Navy Net Depot Surplus Property.
1976 Donald Tayer becomes mayor. All of Marin is suffering from a severe drought. Home use of water is tightly rationed. The soccer field at McKegney Green opens using recycled water. Developer Robert Goetz of Belvedere buys 435 acres on Ring Mountain and announces an extensive housing plan. The Richardson Bay Bicycle Path is widened. A board walk is established on the Main St. waterfront and named for its designer, Alan Thompson. The Donahue Building is designated as a Historical Landmark.
1977 Bruce Ross is elected mayor. Conservation of the ridge lands and open space through purchase and negotiated development is pursued. The Nature Conservancy buys acreage on Ring Mountain.
1978 Hal Edelstein is mayor. Planning for a new City Hall proceeds along with the plan for development of the railroad yards. The Lagoon Road tennis courts are built in a cooperative effort with Belvedere and a new joint Park and Recreation Commission. San Francisco State University creates the Romberg Tiburon Center, specializing in estuarine research.
1979 Joan Bergsund is Tiburon’s first lady mayor. The downtown Plan for the old railroad yards is finally complete and approved by a referendum. City Historian Louise Teather leads a successful campaign to change the name from City to Town. The China Cabin is relocated to Beach Road.1980 Philip Bass becomes mayor. The four lane highway through, and beyond Blackie’s Pasture and the elevated intersection at Trestle Glenn Blvd. are rejected thus keeping Tiburon Blvd. a two lane road. Town Hall is moved to an old building in the former Hilarita Housing. The police department takes over an adjoining building. Lyford’s Tower is restored. The former Tiburon School becomes senior housing and is re-named Bradley House.
1981 Kirk Hanson is mayor. The Waterfront Park is finally approved and built as part of the Point Tiburon development. The Tiburon Crest is annexed to the town. A Precise Plan for the Trestle Glen intersection is approved and several parcels change hands.
1982 Dennis Rockey, mayor. The Town’s financial structure is overhauled to recognize the change in tax structure required by passage of Proposition 13.
1983 The Ring Mountain open space is dedicated by the California Nature Conservancy, preserving several hundred acres in the center of the peninsula from further development.1984 Larry Smith, mayor. The town celebrated its 100th anniversary as a railroad town and the opening of a Tiburon Post Office. It is also the 20th anniversary of the incorporation of Tiburon. Big parade, tent downtown with old movies, jazz festival and fire works. Bel Aire area is annexed to Tiburon.
1985 Valerie Bergmann, mayor. Point Tiburon project nears completion. Work continues on Tiburon Blvd. downtown.
1986 The relocated China Cabin is dedicated. Heritage and Arts Commission established.
1987 Stone Coxhead, mayor. A task force is appointed to plan for a new Town Hall. The 50th anniversary of the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge.
1988 Highlands and Ring Mountain subdivisions are approved. St. Hilary’s Church celebrates its 100th anniversary.
1989 Tiburon celebrates its 25th anniversary. A joint powers agreement is signed with Belvedere for subsidizing the ferry service.1992 An ordinance protecting significant ridge lines on the Peninsula is passed.
1993 Rosemary Bliss becomes California’s first female fire chief. The new fire station opens on Tiburon Blvd.
1994 The Donahue Building which was deeded to the Town as part of the Point Tiburon development agreement is leased to the Landmark Society for use as a railroad museum. Gordon Strawbridge, Tiburon’s first mayor dies. His will provides funds for a statue of Blackie. A playground for small children opens in the South of the Knoll Park.
1995 Andrew Thompson, mayor. A continuous Tiburon Ridge Trail is completed. A statue of Blackie is dedicated in his pasture.
1996 Belvedere celebrates its centennial.
1997 A permanent downtown Town Hall is finally completed and open for business. Construction of senior housing and a new police station is authorized. The new Belvedere-Tiburon Library is opened next to the Town Hall. Terry Hennessy, former Town Clerk, is mayor.
1998 A parcel tax is passed to purchase 117 acres of open space at Old St. Hilary’s preserve. The Red and White Fleet which had been providing ferry service to San Francisco is sold to the Blue and Gold Fleet – service is continued. Cypress Hollow is annexed to Tiburon.
1999 The Elephant Rock Fishing Pier is rebuilt. Richardson Bay Fire District merges with several others to create the Southern Marin Fire District.
2000 The Millennium is celebrated by a huge party on Main Street and the Corinthian Yacht Club. Zelinsky Park is dedicated in the area behind the new Town Hall in honor of Fred and Juanita Zelinsky who donated the land for the Town Hall and their son and daughter who donated the land for the library. Bob Kleinert retires as town manager after 26 years. Alex D. McIntyre becomes the new city manager. Main Street is rebuilt with new wider side walks and handicapped accessibility. The Waters Edge Hotel opens on Main St. The Lyford House is declared a Historic Landmark.
2002 Tiburon Tommy’s restaurant on Main St. is demolished. Ferry Plaza and a new ferry pier open. The Alan Thompson Walkway along the waterfront is rebuilt and reopens. The Federal Government transfers title to the old Net Depot, now known as the Romberg Tiburon Center, to San Francisco State University. St. Stevens celebrates its 90th anniversary.
2003 The top of Mount Carolyn S. Livermore on Angel Island is restored. The restoration of the Angel Island Immigration Station is approved by the town.Last modified February 15, 2005<!–[if !supportEmptyParas]–> <!–[endif]–>