Category Archives: Historical Sites

TIBURON RAILROAD & FERRY DEPOT MUSEUM

Tiburon Railroad & Ferry Depot Museum Before Tiburon was a luxury residential town it was a railroad town. In 1884 Peter Donahue extended the San Francisco and North Pacific Railroad down to Tiburon by means of a series of tunnels … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off

ANGEL ISLAND

Angel Island Aero Photographers c. 1960 Global warming is not new. When most of North America and Europe were covered with ice sheets Angel Island was part of the Tiburon Peninsula. When the ice melted, the bay waters rose and … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off

THE ROMBERG TIBURON CENTER

The Romberg Tiburon Center, for Environmental Studies, San Francisco State University Call it the Net Depot, the California Maritime Academy, the Codfishery, or the U.S. Navy Coaling Station, and you would only begin to touch on some of the uses … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off

THE CORINTHIAN YACHT CLUB

The Corinthian Yacht Club Landmarks History Collections Photo c. 1920 One of the most prominent buildings on the Tiburon waterfront is the Corinthian Yacht Club. Located on a point of land at the end of an island named for the … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off

BLACKIE’S PASTURE

Blackie’s Pasture Blackie was a horse. Not a “Seabiscuit” by any means. Nor one of the great war horses that are usually depicted in statuary around the world, but a somewhat old and tired nag. His swayed back was so … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off

CHINA CABIN

China Cabin Long before Tiburon became a popular suburban residential town it was the center for a variety of industries. Dairies, railroading including the manufacturing of equipment, cod fish processing and canning, and army and navy installations employed most of … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off

LANDMARKS ART & GARDEN CENTER

Art & Garden Center/Brick Kiln Located at the junction of the future Tiburon Blvd. and San Rafael Avenue, the earliest settlement on the Tiburon Peninsula was known as Hilarita, as was the dairy nearby. Hilarita Reed Lyford was the heiress … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off

OLD ST. HILARY’S LANDMARK AND WILDFLOWER PRESERVE

Old St. Hilary’s Landmark   Beginning in 1888, a visiting priest from the parish church of Saint Rafael traveled by horse and buggy or railroad to Tiburon to say Mass every other Sunday. A Mission had been constructed on a … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off

RICHARDSON BAY AUDUBON CENTER

Richardson Bay Audubon Center 376 Greenwood Beach Road Tiburon, CA 94920 The Richardson Bay Audubon Center is comprised of 11 acres of land on the shore of Richardson Bay and 900 acres of submerged tidelands. These 11 acres were once … Continue reading

Posted in Historical Sites | Comments Off