Daniel Amir, Chair
Vince De Quattro
Elizabeth Merrill, Vice Chair
Jaleh Etemad, Artist Laureate
Victoria Arnett, Commissoner Emeritus
Joan Palmero, Town Staff Liaison
The Mission of the Heritage & Arts Commission:
Preserve and advance the Town’s unique historic and cultural character and to advance the arts in the community.
To achieve this, the Heritage and Arts Commission:
- recommends the appropriate selection, placement, modification and maintenance of art and historic objects on the Tiburon Peninsula for protection and enhancement;
- recommends new street names with historic significance;
- reviews and makes recommendations on the request of any group interested in artistic displays at Town facilities.
What does the Tiburon Heritage & Arts Commission Do?
- initiates and acts upon applications to designate structures and sites as Town landmarks having historic, cultural or aesthetic value worthy of protection, enhancement or perpetuation;
- acts as curator of Tiburon Town Hall; solicits and maintains appropriate historic and art objects for the Town;
- publishes a Walking Tour Guide of Historic Tiburon (found in boxes outside Main Street and Ark Row shops);
- surveys and writes a description of historic sites;
- maintains a book with all former mayors’ photographs along with a written description of their terms in office as a tribute to Town history;
- presents the Heritage Preservation Award in recognition of individual or group excellence in preserving peninsula historic properties;
- designs monuments and markers, such as the Gallows Frame Monument, and the bronze plaque near the Railroad Palm showing the location of the former railroad yard.
- holds 12 two-month long art exhibits at the Tiburon Town Hall (in two venues) to showcase talents of local artists of all ages;
- encourages and sponsors art programs and events which are self-supporting in nature and coordinates joint events with the council, commissions and other organizations;
- creates contemporary and historic displays for Town Hall;
- accepts donations to the Heritage & Arts Fund to enhance the Town’s artistic and cultural heritage and reviews requests for memorials.